The Church of Agios Petros | Locations

The Church of Agios Petros

  • MAP
  • LIKE

On the Heraklion coastal highway, east of the Historical Museum of Crete, among the ruins of Byzantine buildings, stands the Church of Agios Petros (St. Peter). Built by the Venetians, it was a Dominican monastery. Like almost all the churches of the city, after 1669 it was converted by the Turks into a mosque. This large single-aisled basilica was recently restored to its original form.