The building was constructed in around in the district of Chalepa, a suburb of Chania. It took its present form in 1927, when Eleftherios Venizelos decided to renovate it.
The outer staircase was then removed and replaced by an open balcony on the first floor and a protected entrance on the ground floor. The reception halls were all in the ground floor and a spacious, open balcony was added to the main facade. A typical characteristic of the building was the surrounding area, especially the front garden, which was often taken care of by Eleftherios Venizelos himself.
Since 1980 the building has been protected with a preservation order. It still belongs to the Venizelos family.