On a low hill (h. 40 m.) by the sea lies an important Minoan settlement. It had a large harbour and was the centre of an area bordered by Chamezi on the west, Praisos on the south, and Analoukas on the east.
Despite evidence of habitation in the last phase of the Neolithic period (3500 B.C.), the first settlement is dated in the Early Minoan II period (2600-2300 B.C.). It continued to be inhabited until 1450 B.C., when it was destroyed, along with the other Minoan centres. A short reoccupation occurred during the Late Minoan III period (1400-1300 B.C.). The settlement flourished in the Old Palatial period (2000-1650 B.C.), when the central building of palatial character was built on the top of the hill; it reached a peak, however, in the New Palatial period (2000-1450 B.C.) when many alterations of the buildings took place. In the 12th and 13th centuries A.D. the top of the hill was occupied by a cemetery, of which 32 graves have been excavated. In 1900, archeologist R.C. Bοsanquet conducted a brief excavation research in the area, where traces of walls were visible. In 1985 systematic excavation started, which continues to the present day under M. Tsipopoulou.