In 1918, the director of the Museum of Rethymnon, E. Petroulakis, made the first probe search in Palaikastro. In December of the same year the amateur archaeologist E. Kaounis discovered a wonderful marble tomb stone of the 5th century B.C. with an engraved representation of a young hunter. In the following years random discoveries often occurred in the area.
From 1990 to the present day systematic rescue excavations have been conducted by the 25th Ephorate of Prehistoric and Classical Antiquities, which have brought to light extensive building complexes with houses and workshops.
Most of the buildings were spotted on the two hills, Tsikouriana and Kakavella, directly south of Stavromenos. In the information centre at the area Sfakaki the visitor can learn everything about the excavations and the finds.
All the finds are exhibited in the Archaeological Museum of Rethymnon.
- Accessible for people with special needs: NO
- Operation Hours: 08:00 - 15:00